Friday, May 27, 2011

DIY Shark Tooth Necklace (Mila Kunis-Forgetting Sarah Marshall)

After watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall (which is a great movie, I highly recommend it)I couldn't stop thinking about the shark tooth necklace that Mila Kunis wore throughout the movie.



It's absolutely stunning and to me is a gorgeous summer piece that can be layered with other pieces or worn on its own.  I looked into buying it and found that it is by a company called Pade Vavra (http://www.shoppadevavra.com/item.php?item_id=257&category_id=47)  and comes with a $225 US price tag.  While I do love it, I just cannot justify a necklace at that price right now, especially for vermeille (dipped in gold, not solid). So I decided to make my own! I got my supplies on both Ebay and Etsy.  On Ebay, I found a man who sells fossilized and new shark teeth, some of which he sells already wrapped in gold-toned wire..I just had to request that he make the bail smaller (the little hole/hoop at the top is the bail) which he did for me.  The tooth I bought was on sale and cost me $11.

Then on Etsy, I found a gold vermeille chain for $5.  So in total I only spent $16 plus shipping for a VERY similar look-a-like!

If you want to check out the sellers I bought from, you can find them here:

Etsy seller:
Ebay seller:

Here's my version:




I wear it every now and then and I have had quite a few compliments on it.  It's often a lot cheaper to imitate or make your own version of jewelry you like.  Sometimes it doesn't work out and other times it's just as nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment