Sunday, March 6, 2011

Maybelline The Falsies mascara vs.Rimmel Max Volume Flash mascara

I am a huge, huge fan of L'oreal Voluminous Mascara. It is my fave as far as mascaras go..makes my lashes look miles long and super volumized.  The only thing is that I, like a ton of others out there, love to try new products even after I've found "the one".

I got Maybelline's "The Falsies" for Christmas and just opened it a few weeks ago.  I have been trying Rimmel's Max Volume Flash for a few months now.  Here is my review and comparison!



"The Falsies"



So I have been wearing this daily now for quite some time. While I do like it, I will not be repurchasing it.  After opening it, I found it has a ton of little thread like fibers.  I think this may be an attempt to follow the whole Fiber Lash idea. However, I find they don't apply very easily to the lashes and they constantly fall into my eye.  I literally find myself constantly rubbing my eyes or having them be all red and irritated.  And I didn't find any indication on the packaging that this was even in the mascara (Maybe I missed it, I'm not sure).  It did volumize somewhat, but doing two coats is difficult because then all the litte pieces start to create fall-out so that's a no go.  Overall, kind of a sloppy mascara.



I didn't mind the wand shape, as it did allow me to get right into the base of my lashes, but again with the fibers, I didn't want to get too close for fear of getting too many of them in my eyes.


If it did not have the fibers I might have reconsidered it but definitely not with all that irritation!

"Max Volume Flash"




First of all, I love the packaging of this mascara.  Who doesn't like a girly pink packaging in their makeup bag.  Honestly this is what initially attracted me to it! However, this really isn't too bad of a mascara.  It does add substantial volume which I love and it does lengthen quite a bit.  The wand is fairly standard, not overly thick or thin and it's not that plasticky type that you get in some mascaras (like in Telescopic, I reaaaally dislike that wand). My only gripe is that you really do need two coats of it to get a dramatic look.  If you only apply the first coat, it's quite natural looking and to get the length you really have to go in behind the lashes with the wand.  Below is a photo with only one coat.


One coat


As you can see, they don't really look extra long or volumized with only the one coat.  But after applying two, it makes a pretty large difference.



Two coats


In terms of the lengthening and thickening, these are both pretty similar.  I would say that the Volume Flash wins out though, because it doesn't irritate my eyes, I prefer the wand and I'm a sucker for the packaging. 

Any tips on good drug store mascaras I should try out?

No comments:

Post a Comment